Welcome to Screen Machine 15!
The first Screen Machine began touring in 1998, bringing the latest films to remote and rural parts of Scotland.
To celebrate fifteen years on the road, we’re expanding our selection of films, adding some new venues and holding a series of one day film festivals, all under the banner of Screen Machine 15. Activities will include:
– Using Screen Machine as a venue, a pilot programme of Moving Image Education activity will be delivered to teachers and young people attending primary and secondary schools in communities around the Highlands and Islands.
– A number of new venues will be visited, ensuring the tour visits 19 Scottish islands, including the Orkney isles of Sanday, Stronsay, Westray and Hoy, plus the isles of Eigg, Rum, Coll and Tiree.
– Scottish crowdsourced documentary, We Are Northern Lights, will kick-off a season of specially-curated titles for 2013. July films will include upcoming documentary, Village at the End of the World and Irish drama, Good Vibrations.
– This year will also see a number of Scottish shorts preceding feature films in many locations, including the Scottish Documentary Institute’s In Search of the Wallaby and Iain Gardner’s animated short, The Tannery.
– A strand of archive film screenings will be introduced for 2013, including a chance for residents on the island of Sanday to watch a rare film shot by local school pupils in 1977.
– Three one-day film festivals will take place during Summer 2013 in Fort William and on the islands of Mull and Arran. Each day will be devoted to special screenings and unique events events. A programme of events will be announced for the Western Isles in July.
– Research will be carried out in association with University College London to aid their studies into filmgoing in the 1960s. Dr Matthew Jones will be travelling with Screen Machine later in year to meet with Highland audiences and add to their research.
We hope you can join us to make 2013 our best year yet.
A web version of our June to August programme can now be downloaded and we’ll add more information to this page in the next few days.